Botox caused the death of 17000 birds at Sambhar lake in India

Botox caused the death of 17000 birds at Sambhar lake in India
Botox caused the death of 17000 birds at Sambhar lake in India, photo: Ray Hennessy on Unsplash

The cause of 17000 birds dying at Sambhar lake in Rajasthan was botox, which led to avian botulism, a report said. Botulinum toxin, better known as botox, paralyzes muscles.

Birds were found paralyzed over wings and legs, showing neck-drooping syndrome. “Omnivore and insectivore species were most affected,” said the investigation report submitted on Thursday by the Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI) on migratory birds at Sambhar.

Late October, Rajasthan woke up to one of India’s worst avian catastrophes. There were bird carcasses on the banks of the Sambhar Lake, a 230 square kilometer saltwater body. Birds died at a fast rate.

The Animal Reader bring you the latest news on animals and their environment. Follow The Animal Reader on Google News and subscribe here to our weekly email! 

Contact our newsroom

Previous articleExtremely malnourished dog Gabriel is slowly gaining weight
Next articleBan on sending wild-caught elephants to zoos takes effect; scientists urge Zimbabwe and China to obey